Town see off Torpoint to earn third straight victory

Falmouth Town earned their third successive victory in all competitions after recording a convincing 3-1 win over Torpoint Athletic on Wednesday night.

Tim Nixon got the hosts off to a flying start at Bickland Park before Charlie Edney and Luke Barner notched their first goals of the season as Town raced into a three-goal lead at the break.

The second half saw the visitors dominate play and they pulled one back early on through Ryan Richards, but could not bridge the gap any further as Town closed out their second home win in four days.

The victory propels Town up to sixth in the Western League table, one and two points behind Cornish rivals Saltash United and Millbrook respectively.

Much like they had done in their 4-0 victory over Clevedon four days earlier, Town opened the scoring in front of the Packet End just after the ten-minute mark. After being fouled on the edge of the box, Nixon dusted himself off to curl the ball into the top corner, leaving Torpoint gloveman Jason Peters rooted to his spot

Torpoint enjoyed a spell of possession after the goal but failed to test Ryan Barnes – who was making his 250th appearance for Town – and that came back to bite them as Town doubled their lead on the half-hour. Scott Kellow’s cross was met by Edney, who did brilliantly to turn his man before rifling the ball past Peters from six yards out.

Buoyed by that second goal, Town extended their lead further just before the interval, with Barner netting mere seconds after coming off the bench. The replacement for the injured James Swan whipped in a low cross towards Nixon, whose clever dummy did enough to put the visiting defence off as the ball crept inside the near post.

The hosts were close to heading into the break with a four-goal lead for the second game running when Barner put Edney through, only for the striker to be denied by a fine reaction stop from Peters.

Torpoint needed a quick response after the break and they got just that. Scott Kellow was called upon to deny Curtis Damerell on 49 minutes before strike partner Richards found a way through two minutes later, curling past Barnes from the left side of the box.

Richards looked the likeliest to dig the visitors out of their hole, with the prolific forward nodding wide from Charlie Hardcastle’s cross before his close-range effort was well held by Barnes.

Chances for Town were few and far between in the second period but Barner passed up a big opportunity to put the game to bed when he shot wide from Nixon’s cross, while Edney nodded onto the roof of the net after Luke Brabyn’s strike was saved.

The final quarter of the game was a niggly, scrappy affair with referee Darren Gay dishing out yellow cards like confetti. Barnes was called upon to deny Richards from point-blank range before substitute Cam Hutchison almost capped off the win in style, with the midfielder gliding past two defenders on the edge of the box before shooting narrowly wide.

Falmouth: R Barnes, S Kellow, T Moxham, J Webber, T Annear, J Ward, A Wharton (L Brabyn 20), A Calleja-Stayne (C Hutchison 64), C Edney (O Pickup 70), J Swan (L Barner 44), T Nixon.

Subs (unused): Gordon-Dunn.

Torpoint: J Peters, P Heveran, C Hardcastle, J Smith, S Hillson, E Crawford, C Thompson, J Bass, C Damerell, R Richards, D Hicks.

Subs: M Lucas, L Pacey, G Hird, B Robins.