Bray-Evans brace helps Town into next round of Vase

Jack Bray-Evans came off the bench to score twice as Falmouth Town strolled into the next round of the FA Vase with a 5-0 victory over Launceston at Bickland Park.

Tim Nixon and Charlie Edney scored within a minute of each other as Town raced into a two-goal lead after just seven minutes, with Luke Brabyn making it three before quarter of an hour had elapsed.

Bray-Evans came off the bench early in the second half and scored twice in ten minutes to complete the scoring midway through the second period.

Town are now through to the first round proper of the Vase for the fifth season running and Andrew Westgarth’s side will discover their opponents for the next round at Monday lunchtime.

Falmouth had to wait little over five minutes to take the lead and it came in familiar fashion. Nixon had already put away three free-kicks this season prior to Saturday and he duly made it four with a fine effort from 20 yards for his eighth goal of a superb start to the campaign.

Barely another minute had elapsed before Clarets goalkeeper Lewis Slade was picking the ball out of his net for a second time. Nixon surged down the left and Slade was able to tip his low cross away, with Edney on hand to roll in the rebound.

James Swan passed up a big opportunity to make it three shortly after but Town were three goals to the good before the clock had struck 15 minutes. Brabyn ran clear down the right and bore down on goal before rolling the ball past the onrushing Slade for his first goal of the season.

Swan, Brabyn and Tom Annear all came close to extending the hosts’ advantage before Nixon had seemingly done enough to add another when he skipped clear and beat Slade, only for a Launceston defender to hook it off the line.

Launceston looked to reduce the deficit early in the second half with Tom Bullock shooting wide from 20 yards before Alfie Cole sent his effort on the half-volley in the same direction.

But it was Town who would extend their lead further still shortly after the hour following a slick attacking move. Scott Kellow’s long free-kick was met inside the box by substitute Luke Barner, whose low cross was volleyed in by Bray-Evans at the near post.

The latter pair combined again a few minutes later as Bray-Evans marked his first appearance at Bickland Park for six weeks with a second goal. Barner scampered down the right flank and delivered a devastating cross for Bray-Evans to hammer home at the back post.

The match ended on a slighly sour note with Kellow coming off injured before Barner was sin binned and Cam Hutchison was booked after the latter was on the receiving end of an off-the-ball incident.

Falmouth: R Barnes, S Kellow, T Moxham, J Webber, T Annear, K Gordon-Dunn, C Hutchison, C Edney (J Bray-Evans 51), J Swan (L Barner 62), T Nixon (O Pickup HT).

Subs (unused): K Davies, A Wharton.