Falmouth Town made their first visit to Oldland Abbotonians at the Aitchison playing field knowing that despite their lowly league position, their hosts had been boosted by a solid midweek comeback against Welton Rovers where they clawed their way back from being 3 nil down to draw 3-3.

Town started the game with an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday night’s hard fought 1-0 win at Wellington. Playing towards the clubhouse, they immediately pressed the Oldland backline and after just 2 mins Oscar Massey cut in from the right and hit a shot which was deflected for a corner, the result of which saw a Ruben Wilson header clear the bar.

Any meaningful Oldland build up play was quickly dealt with by the Falmouth Town midfield, but the Town attacks lacked that killer final pass until the 40th minute when the tireless Luke Barner collected the ball on the right wing before cutting inside of his marker running across the box and slotting a low drive past the keeper inside the far post.

Town started the second half on the front foot looking to increase their lead and on 48 mins Oscar Massey saw a blistering shot cannon back off the post with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Oldland weren’t giving up and were competitive for every ball. They were rewarded on 51 mins when a foul outside of the box resulted in the free kick being diverted past Town keeper Morgan Coxhead by the aptly nicknamed Zach Sniper Tucker.

For all their possession Town were unable to get through the resolute Oldland defence who were desperate to get something out of the game.

After 69 minutes, manager Andy Westgarth decided to make a change in midfield with Andy Elcock replacing Andreas Calleja-Stayne who had been booked minutes earlier.

On 75 minutes Town had a free kick out wide on the right which Tom Annear floated into the box only to be headed away by a defender, again falling at the feet of Annear who this time hit a blistering shot which cannoned back off the crossbar.

Shortly after Town appeals for a penalty were waved away by the referee when Oscar Massey who had tormented all game with his blistering pace was sandwiched between two players and pushed to the floor inside the box.

Further Town subs saw Cam Hutchison replace Jared Sims on 79 minutes, Luke Brabyn replace James Swan on 84 minutes and Kian Thomas on for Ruben Wilson at 90+1.

After some 8 mins injury time the referee blew for full time leaving the forty travelling F-Troopers wondering if it was 2 points lost or a point gained, until hearing that Helston had lost 1-0 at Wellington and Town had returned to the top of the league although having played a more game.

The title run in looks reminiscent of the present Premier league. This week looking particularly interesting with Helston travelling to their bogey side and currently inform Barnstaple Town on Tuesday evening, whilst Town host Ilfracombe at Bickland Park.

Then it’s on to Thursday evening for what could be the title decider with Helston Athletic entertaining Falmouth Town at Kellaway Park, K.O. – 7:45pm. With the weather set to be good all week there will be a huge crowd with the F-Troop having already filled 2 coaches.