Westgarth’s Welton Rovers reaction

Boss Andrew Westgarth was delighted with the character his Falmouth Town side showed after they scored twice in the final ten minutes to triumph 3-2 at Welton Rovers on Tuesday night.

Tom Annear scored twice from the spot before Luke Brabyn netted a late winner as Town clinched their sixth win in their last eight games on their final away trip of the Western League season.

Town took the lead four minutes before the break at West Clewes when Luke Barner was felled inside the Rovers box shortly after closing down goalkeeper Dom Oakes’ clearance, with Annear calmly sending the home custodian the wrong way from the spot.

Rovers were back on level terms shortly after the turnaround when Jaiden Savery plucked a cross out of the air before drilling the ball past Ryan Barnes, and the hosts found themselves in front in the 72nd minute when Lewis Russell lashed the ball into the bottom corner from the centre of the box.

But the match turned on its head again eight minutes from time when Annear scored his second penalty of the night after Tim Nixon was brought down inside the box, with Brabyn notching the winner two minutes later with a fine finish into the far corner.

The victory lifts Town above Shepton Mallet and into seventh in the Western League Premier Division table, and Westgarth’s side will finish in that spot if they can match the Somerset outfit’s result when the teams play their respective final games of the campaign this weekend.

“We started the game really well and were really good value for our lead, and if anything we hadn’t taken the chances to be further ahead,” Westgarth said after the game. “But you’ve got to give credit to Welton, they had a sustained period of the game where they caused us a few problems and definitely got us turning. 

“It was frustrating to find ourselves 2-1 down with 15 to go and I thought it was going to be a long bus trip home. Our inability to finish teams off when we’re on top has been the story of our season.

“But massive credit to the boys to get the penalty to level it at 2-2 with ten minutes to go and then to find the winner through that man Brabyn. I think he would be the first to admit he was frustrated on Saturday [at home to Sherborne] when he missed a few chances, but to get the winner showed the character of the man. 

“I’m pleased for him but I’m delighted for the boys and the supporters because we let ourselves down in our last away game at Sherborne. It was nice to finish our away campaign with a win.”