Falmouth Town managed the expected comfortable win against their bottom of the league hosts Millbrook at a wet and windy Jenkins Park with a convincing 4-0 score-line to maintain their title challenge this season.

Falmouth manager Andy Westgarth was able to name Jack Webber on the bench after a long injury lay-off. Kayden Gordon-Dunn may not be back before the end of the season, but otherwise Town are now at full strength. This bodes well as they go into an important month, with FA Vase and Senior Cup ties to come and what is arguably a 4 or 5 horse race for the league title between Falmouth, Clevedon, Barnstaple, Bridgwater and Helston.

Contrary to the weather forecasts the game started in windy but dry conditions on a heavy pitch and Falmouth immediately took control of the game. The first incident of note came after 3 minutes when James Ward was on the end of a late tackle which led to a 2-minute break as he received treatment. The incident was to lead to his eventual substitution at half-time.

Nine minutes in and it was all Falmouth as they were kept at bay by some impressive last ditch defending by Millbrook, including three goal-line clearances in the same passage of play following a corner. It looked like the deadlock was going to be broken on 13 minutes as another Falmouth attack ended with James Ward being fouled as he was about to take a shot inside the area. The referee duly pointed to the spot and Rubin Wilson stepped up to try to improve Falmouth’s recently poor penalty record. Wilson struck the ball cleanly to the Millbrook Keeper Jamie Dudley’s right, but Dudley got down brilliantly to make the save and keep the score at 0-0.

Falmouth continued to dominate the game with Millbrook defending resolutely with their big Number 5 particularly looking strong. However, Falmouth were constantly getting in behind the Millbrook defence down the flanks, with Luke Barner playing wide on the right having an excellent game and Ollie Walker on the other side also causing the hosts problems. Oscar Massey was continually positioning himself in the gap between defence and midfield to receive the pull-back from the bye-line, but the ball was just not getting to him. Something for the team to work on as they get used to his presence in the team. It was from one such move down the wing that Town opened the scoring on 36 minutes. Walker got to the by-line once more, but this time managed to pick out James Ward, who headed the ball past Dudley from outside of the 6-yard box to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Town extended their lead on 41 minutes. Tom Annear delivered another corner from the right and Rubin Wilson rose highest at the far post to nod in from one yard out. The score-line stayed at 2-0 going into the 2nd half as Falmouth took Ward off and replaced him with Cam Hutchinson. Calleja-Stayne dropping back into central defence. Ward had been limping for most of the first half after his early injury.

The much-forecasted poor weather arrived in the second half as the sizeable contingent from Falmouth headed for the cover either behind the goal or into the cavernous Millbrook stand. They witnessed more dogged defending from the home team with the pitch cutting up. This was hampering Falmouth’s passing game, but they were still creating chances. After about 10 minutes, Oscar Massey latched on to a poor back-pass and ran through with only the keeper to beat. He cleverly slotted it through the keeper’s legs, but it rolled narrowly past the far post. However, he didn’t make the same mistake after 24 minutes of the half as he ran on to a through ball from Wilson, outpaced the defence and slotted the ball inside the far post with his left foot. A well-deserved goal and sure to be one of many, with his clever positioning, electric pace and willingness to run at defenders. That is three goals in three games so a great start to his Falmouth Town career.

Falmouth continued to dominate and introduced fresh legs with Barner and Walker being replaced with Jacob Grange and Alex Wharton. Millbrook kept their heads up under the onslaught and managed to play some good football in the middle of the park with their No:17 looking particularly impressive on the ball and their No:7 also showing up well. Millbrook have had a difficult season having lost most of their first team squad in the summer but have kept going admirably with their young team getting great experience at this level, which will benefit the club in the next few months. Eventually the results will surely come.

On 40 minutes, Town scored their final goal. A break down the right by Oscar Massey ended with a shot across the goalkeeper. He could only parry the ball back into play and it fell to Rubin Wilson to tap in from two yards out. That is 4 goals in 4 games for Wilson now and he is proving to be an effective addition to the squad.

The game finished at 4-0 and the Town players took the time to applaud their travelling supporters who had made the long trip up. Falmouth now move into 4th place after Buckland’s defeat. They have a chance to eat into Bridgwater’s points advantage on Saturday when they host them at Bickland Park as their quest for the Western League title continues. Let’s hope for another sizeable crowd at Bickland for another big game in an exciting 2nd season at this level.

MOM Falmouth: Jared Sims. Millbrook: Jamie Dudley.

Millbrook: J. Dudley, A. Jones, T. Newton, M. Krac, J. Washburn, L. Anastasiou, W. Sullivan, L. Hewings, V. H. Innes, F. Walker, W. Dawe. Subs: B. Endean, L. Wilson, D. Medlin, M. Washburn, J. Miller.

Falmouth Town: Morgan Coxhead, James Swan, James Ward, Tom Annear, Bradley Leivers, Olly Walker, Jared Sims, Andreas Calleja-Stayne, Luke Barner, Oscar Massey, Ruben Wilson. Subs: Alex Wharton, Cam Hutchinson, Jacob Grange, Luke Brabyn, Jack Webber.