Falmouth Town certainly bounced back from last week’s FA Vase exit at Bridgwater United, as Manager Andrew Westgarth will undoubtedly have asked for a reaction after last weeks below par performance. With previously cup tied strikers Oscar Massey and Ruben Wilson reintroduced back into the side, he didn’t have to wait long.

Bridgwater United took the kick off and immediately lost possession, with the ball finding its way to the feet of Oscar Massey the pacey winger jinked his way between two defenders leaving them in his wake, before calmly slotting the ball past the Bridgwater keeper after only 12 seconds sparking wild celebrations amongst the travelling F-Troopers behind the goal, especially Jeff who had the 1 minute golden goal ticket!

Town were dominating play in these opening exchanges and it came as no surprise, when after 10 minutes birthday boy Luke Barner received the ball on the right wing before cutting inside and hitting a looping shot over the keeper and inside the far post.

Bridgwater were shell-shocked and despite good periods of play from them any threat was quickly nullified by Town’s midfield and defence. Frustrations were starting to show and on 28 mins both Jack Taylor and Sam Hedges found there way into the referees book. Former Bristol Rovers defender Llewellyn was having a torrid time at left back against the pace of Massey and Barner and following an exchange between him and the referee, was sin binned on 41 minutes.

H/T – Bridgwater United 0-2 Falmouth Town

The Bridgwater changing room was obviously the scene of some frank discussions during the break with the team coming out with more purpose and intent. Town were alert to the increased threat until they lost the ball in midfield allowing a Bridgwater player to get into the box and go down under a challenge from Town captain James Ward, with the referee immediately pointing to the spot. Up stepped Adam Wright who’s coolly struck shot was superbly parried away by Town’s goal keeper Morgan Coxhead, who minutes earlier had made a point blank save from Jack Taylor. One minute later Bridgwater had the ball in the back of the net only for it to be ruled out by the linesman’s flag.

Town manager Westy decided to tighten up the defence,bringing on James Swan for Jacob Grange after fifty-eight minutes and Town started to push forward again looking for a third goal to make the game safe. It duly arrived on 62 minutes with Jared Sims skill and close control getting him to the edge of the box before unleashing a curling shot into the top right hand corner of the net, leaving the keeper stranded. The tireless Andreas Calleja-Stayne was replaced by Tom Fisher on 70 mins to bolster the midfield and Olly Walker replaced Oscar Massey

On 71 minutes, Rubin Wilson who had been a menace to the Bridgwater defence the whole game with his physical presence and hold up play, got the goal he deserved and the M.O.M. award by coolly dispatching a low drive under the keeper.

Bridgwater made a change of their own with Josiah McKayle replacing Jack Taylor up front and it wasn’t long before he got a consolation goal on 84 minutess. More Town changes saw Cam Hutchison replace Jared Sims and a Luke for Luke with Brabyn replacing Barner.

Two minutes from time a 50/50 tackle ended with a yellow card for Cam Hutchison with Jay Murray for the home side very lucky to escape with only a yellow for retaliation. The other Llewellyn brother getting sin binned in the same process.

Five minutes later and it was all over. The result sees Town regain 3rd spot ahead of Bridgwater by two points with a game in hand and cementing a play off spot. With Helston visiting this week will they incur the wrath and reaction of a wounded Bridgwater to set the scene for an exciting local derby at Kelloway Parc on Good Friday?

Attendance: 334

Line Ups:

Bridgwater United: Benjamin Thomas-Griffith, Sam Hedges, Jake Llewellyn, Thomas Llewellyn, Jay Murray, Joshua Peter-Phillips, Luke Purnell, Jason Quick, Jack Taylor, Daive=d Thorne, Jack Thorne.

Subs: Mark Armstrong, Josiah McKayle, Adam Wright.